Third Friday of each Month, September through June
Service and Dinner: 6:00 PM
Talk: 8:00 PM
One of our most popular programs! We observe our people’s tradition of welcoming Shabbes in a secular way, with candles, wine, challah, readings, singing, a pot luck supper and guest speaker.
Here is the logistical information, followed by the 2017-18 schedule:
- RSVPs are required, whether you are coming for the full evening or for the talk only. Please phone or email Judy at 604-873-3243, firstname.lastname@example.org. And leave your phone number and what you will be bringing. If possible, please RSVP by Thursday afternoon.
- There are spaces in our service for you, if you wish to, to share a brief poem or some thoughts about candles/light, wine, or challah/food/labour.
- If you would like to read one of the passages in our booklet at the service, please let the person at the door know, and they will give your name to the leader.
- Admission is a contribution to the pot-luck supper or $15. (Admission to the talk only is $5; please arrive by 8:00.)
- Please be here at 5:45 to set out your food contribution to the pot luck supper and socialize. The Shabbes observance starts promptly at 6:00.
- Our FTN starts by welcoming Shabbes with candles, wine, challah, readings and singing. The observance is followed by a potluck supper, followed by the guest speaker.
- When preparing food for the pot luck, think about feeding 4–6 people besides yourself. Couples please double that quantity or bring two dishes.
- Food should be ready to serve. We have space for a bit of warming, but not enough to accommodate frozen dishes.
In this day and age, with so many people having allergies and sensitivities, it makes sense to indicate what’s in your dish if it isn’t obvious. The person at the admissions desk will have small pieces of paper for this purpose.
Oct. 20: Neil Ritchie on Leonard Cohen
Nov. 17: Matthew Gindin, Jewish meditation: New Age fad or ancient tradition?
Dec. 15: We celebrate “Jewish xmas”, i.e. we order in Chinese food and a watch a movie
Jan. 19: Lena Sverdlov, Freudian session (with no couch)
Feb. 16: John Silver, Opera marriages
Mar. 16: Gordon Cherry, Christie Pits Riot, Toronto, August 1933: video and talk
Apr. 20: Janos Mate, Landfill harmony
May 18: TBA
Jun: Date and topic TBA